Friday, April 18, 2008

Set-back

Mom had yet another stroke this morning. I had been at work about an hour when Mike called and said he was taking her to the hospital- she couldn't move her left side and her speech was slurred. They had just returned from a doctor visit for a Coumadin INR check. I told him I would meet them there and left work. It was all I could do to keep it together the 40 minutes drive down there. Seeing fear and disappointment written all over her face when I got there didn't help any.

Again, the CT scan showed no hemorrhaging. But since she'd had a stroke not long ago, and she is on Coumadin, no tPA this time. So, for now she's on a heparin drip. And we wait.

She hasn't responded well when evaluated for swallowing, so to avoid aspiration, no drink or food (or pills for that matter) are allowed. She's hungry, too. Mom has kept her sense of humor up to this point, but she is quite serious about food...

No comments: